Twenty-three members of the YISS Track and Field team traveled to Morrison Academy for the ACSC championships over Spring Break. During this time, the athletes served the local community by helping with the “I Am a Hero Games,” a track and field meet for local special needs students organized by the Taiwan Sunshine non-profit organization. After this great event, the athletes competed for two days against eight other schools.
Highlights from the trip include:
- The boys’ team & girls’ team each placed 4th of 9 teams (3rd for ACSC teams).
- Allison P. (12) & Sean R. (11) were named to the ACSC All-Championship Team.
- Allison P. (12) took gold in the 3km & 5km.
- Sean R. (11) took gold in the triple jump in his first attempt at the event.
- The 4x400m team of Sean R. (11), Seungmin B. (11), Andy N. (11), and Timothy P. (9) broke the school record.
- Timothy P. (9) broke the 3km (bronze) & 5km school records.
- Alex L. (9) took bronze in the 400m dash, and Seungmin B. (11) took bronze in the 200m dash.
- Majid A. (11) and Angel V. (10) were the first athletes in school history to compete in the hammer throw (Angel placed 3rd overall), and Andy N. (11) was the first athlete in school history to compete in the 110m hurdles.
The team did a great job of setting goals, training, and growing as people and athletes.
Leaders: Mr. Dwight, Mrs. Dwight, Mr. Mooi, Mrs. Mooi
Members: Majid A. (11), Seungmin B. (11), Brandon C. (9), Andy J. (9), Maya H. (12), Andy H. (9), Joseph H. (12), Minjae K. (9), Alex L. (9), Jake L. (12), Karin L. (12), Naomi L. (9), Andrew M. (11), Abigail O. (9), Harrison O. (10), Allison P. (12), Timothy P. (9), Sean R. (11), Jungeun S. (12), Angel V. (10), Hunter Y. (9)