Yongsan International School of Seoul is fully accredited by both the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and a member of the East Asia Regional Council of Overseas Schools (EARCOS).
Our accreditation demonstrates our commitment to providing a rigorous, quality educational program staffed by highly qualified educators, a safe and enriching learning environment, and effective operations. Accreditation eases the transfer process as students move from accredited school to accredited school and
YISS received a full six-year term at its last accreditation visit in March 2016. Schools compile an in-depth self-study report that is validated by an outside team of seasoned education professionals. Accredited schools also implement a continuous plan of school improvement.
Here is a summary of the areas for continuous school improvement that are in progress:
- Review the current YISS ESLRs (Expected Schoolwide Learning Results) and consider ways of assessing these student learning outcome statements.
- Increase focus on student learning, individual development, and mastery of learning in regards to improvement efforts through standards-based grading and reporting reform.
- Work to continue the development of a whole-school approach to learning with fully reviewed vertical alignment for subject areas.
- Find ways to further support and accommodate the various activities and programs of the school.
- Consider strategies for increasing the tenure of staff.
Each month throughout the school year, different groups, committees, and individual staff members are working to make progress toward these goals. Additionally, the YISS School Improvement Planning Committee meets monthly and receives progress reports on these goals, as well as reviews all standards for accreditation, ensuring that YISS continues to maintain all accreditation requirements and continues to work to meet our school improvement goals.