The Guardian Way
The Guardian Way is an honor code designed to:
- Provide a social contract based on the ideals of Truth, Excellence, and Diversity.
- Establish a foundation for students to learn and grow in a safe and nurturing environment.
- Help build a school community of young men and women who are committed to moral and academic integrity.
- Develop the character of students who will make an impact on their surroundings well beyond their time at YISS.
- Help students take responsibility for their own behavior and learn to solve problems independently.
As a Guardian, I will seek TRUTH by:
- Being reflective.
- Persevering to learn.
- Speaking truthfully to others.
- Doing what is right even when no one is watching.
- Informing teachers or administrators when there is a problem or others need assistance.
As a Guardian, I will strive for EXCELLENCE by:
- Being responsible.
- Doing the best I can on any task set before me: mental, physical, spiritual, or social.
- Respecting and following the rules and policies established by the teachers and administration.
- Using words that build others up and help create a positive community.
- Treating the school’s materials and facilities with respect and care.
- Practicing patience, kindness, graciousness, and self-control in my speech and behavior.
As a Guardian, I will support DIVERSITY by:
- Being respectful.
- Speaking kindly to others in and out of class.
- Believing the best about others and trying not to take offense.
- Treating others with respect and dignity at all times, even those who are different from me.
- Standing up for others when I see them being mistreated.