The Guardian Way
The Guardian Way is an honor code designed to:
- provide a social contract based on the ideals of Truth, Excellence, and Diversity.
- establish a foundation for students to learn and grow in a safe and nurturing environment.
- help build a school community of young men and women who are committed to moral and academic integrity.
- develop the character of students who will make an impact on their surroundings well beyond their time at YISS.
- help students take responsibility for their own behavior and learn to solve problems independently.
As a Guardian, I will seek TRUTH by:
- being reflective.
- persevering to learn.
- speaking truthfully to others.
- doing what is right even when no one is watching.
- informing teachers or administrators when there is a problem or others need assistance.
As a Guardian, I will strive for EXCELLENCE by:
- being responsible.
- doing the best I can on any task set before me: mental, physical, spiritual, or social.
- respecting and following the rules and policies established by the teachers and administration.
- using words that build others up and help create a positive community.
- treating the school’s materials and facilities with respect and care.
- practicing patience, kindness, graciousness, and self-control in my speech and behavior.
As a Guardian, I will support DIVERSITY by:
- being respectful.
- speaking kindly to others in and out of class.
- believing the best about others and trying not to take offense.
- treating others with respect and dignity at all times, even those who are different from me.
- standing up for others when I see them being mistreated.