Home /
Admissions / Frequently Asked Questions
page tools :
email page print page small type large type


Frequently Asked Questions:

How are your teachers hired and what are their backgrounds?

Our teachers are hired after completing a rigorous interview and evaluation process. Each is interviewed by the principal to whom the teacher is responsible and by the headmaster. All teachers possess the minimum of a bachelor’s degree and over 50% hold master’s degrees. The teachers at YISS are certified in their content area and each receives two weeks of special training to help prepare them for teaching in an international context.

How do YISS high school students perform on the SAT?

YISS Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) Average Scores
ReadingMath WritingComposite
YISS Class of 20146477076712025
YISS Class of 20156406876711998
YISS Class of 20166586936852036
2016 US Average4945084821484

How do elementary and middle school students perform on standardized tests?

MAP Testing Math RIT Scores, Spring 2015


MAP Testing Reading RIT Scores, Spring 2015


MAP Testing Language RIT Scores, Spring 2015

Is YISS accredited?

Yongsan International School of Seoul is fully accredited by both the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and is recognized by the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education (SMOE).

What after school activities are offered for elementary students?

We offer a wide variety of activities each quarter. Here is a PDF sample list.

What are the school hours?

Kindergarten – 5th Grade: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
6th Grade – 12th Grade: 7:50 a.m. – 3:10 p.m.

What type of curriculum does YISS offer?

Yongsan International School offers an academic course of study based on the American educational model for its international student body. At the high school level, YISS has an enriched college preparatory curriculum offering a range of Advanced Placement (AP) courses. The school's curriculum director, administrators and curriculum review committee are responsible for selecting the textbook(s) for each particular course of study. Since YISS is accredited by both WASC and ACSI, students who attend YISS are easily able to transfer to schools and universities in other countries.

Which colleges are YISS graduates accepted to?

YISS graduates are accepted to and attend some of the top colleges and universities around the world. Sample lists of college and university acceptances are available: 2010-12, 2012-14, and 2014-16.

Who makes up the student body at YISS?

YISS has an enrollment of 1,000 students representing over 56 different countries.

The largest population of the school holds citizenship in the United States (53%) while Korean citizenship belongs to the second largest group of students (17%).

About 60% of our students are of Korean heritage with the remaining 40% of non-Korean origin.

Parents of YISS students include employees of international and local corporations, foreign embassies, and Korean universities.

powered by finalsite