It is the expressed desire of YISS to meet the diverse needs of all students. It is our belief that including children who have a range of differences in the general curriculum is beneficial for everyone.
When we teach a child who learns differently with dignity and respect, we are modeling God's love. At the same time, we become a living example of understanding and acceptance that may impact ALL our students and even their parents. The student's progress will be carefully reviewed and monitored by the principal, special education teacher, and parents, to make any adjustments to the prescribed program that may be necessary. The confidentiality of such students and their families will be protected at all times.
In accordance with the mission of Yongsan International School of Seoul, the Student Services Department believes that every child has worth and that the inclusion of students with language barriers as well as learning differences in the process of developing a passion for truth, a commitment to excellence, and an appreciation for diversity, has benefits for everyone. As such, the Student Services Department provides a wide variety of services in order to meet the needs of the student body.
These may include:
- Accepting referrals for consideration by the Support Teams (S-teams)
- Assessing student's current levels of English language proficiency
- Assessing student's present level of performance including: achievement levels, learning styles, and areas of strengths and weaknesses
- Providing classroom student observations
- Conferencing with students, parents, teachers, and other school personnel when necessary
- Providing classroom support for students and teachers
- Screening admissions documents to ensure that YISS is capable of meeting the needs of potential students
- Assisting with referrals to community professionals
- Development and maintenance of all relevant paperwork (i.e. IEP)
- Inclusion in our English language learner (ELL) program
- Inclusion in our Student Learning Center (SLC)